Saturday, July 21, 2007

More on creative shopping for painting tools and toys

First, note that I have changed yesterday's post, and marked it up with bold, red italics.

Last night I was struggling with blogspot and losing. I lost a lot of text and recreated most of it last night. Today I've got a process going, so I was able to fix omissions and add pertinent information.

In Michael's today I found two interesting items:

1) a metal clip (canvas hanger) used to hang oil paintings. It wraps around the frame and creates a small edge for hanging on a nail or something. This could be used to attach items to the drawers and sides of an easel.

2) They are having a sale on Krylon Spray Paints in 3 oz containers. $2 each instead of the normal $4. I think it's a close-out. I am (barely) willing to pay $2 for 3 oz when $6 gets me 12 oz, because I want something I can carry with me, to protect my painting when I am not at home.

And then there is OfficeMax. I am addicted to the Iris 6 drawer mini-chests. At about $35 each, they are much cheaper than taborets.

So I found that they will sell them to you via the Internet, 3 for the price of 2. I called my local OfficeMax (you may need to speak to a manager) and asked it they would sell them to me for the same price. They agreed. They'd be stupid to refuse: OfficeMax would give me free shipping for an Internet order, since 2 chests exceed their $50 threshold.

One last funny item: a Helix swing arm protractor (
protractor with a pivoting ruler) attached at the center for measuring angles more accurately. $1.50. Found it in the drafting supplies... It looks a lot like those tools they sell in art stores ($15) for setting angles in drawings!

2 comments:

Carol Douglas said...

That protractor is growing on me. I have an angle measure but the protractor is lighter, which means it can be backpacked...

I will miss your innovations when you're wandering around Russia. Exciting to imagine what you might bring home. A table made of birch twigs? Your very own Mustela sibirica to make sable watercolor brushes?

Have a great trip!

Carol Douglas said...

For your further consideration:

http://www.fineartstore.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=14457&idp=4&his=0|4&cart_id=_UFN8pG0PDDQ3vzOe.5308