Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Evening with Horses and a Good Dog

Last night, at Chuck's insistence (for my own good and well-being), Anya and I went to spend an hour with Heffie and the other horses.

Heffie came right over to me when he heard my voice.  He let me groom him all over, scratch his ears, brush & pat his face and neck...  without a halter, without cross-ties, without even a crop!

WITHOUT nuzzling me and demanding peppermints or other treats.

We spent a lot of time with me singing the 'Mom song' to him, and then we walked around the paddock together.  I DID have treats in my hand then, but he did exactly as I asked.  Walked when I walked.  Stopped when I stopped.  Stayed on my right side, fairly close.  Would that my dogs would heel so faithfully!

Then we came back to the NE corner of the paddock and just spent some time BE-ing together.  Nose to nose and chin to chin.

Then Anya and I went down to the ring to watch Bev work with Ebony and someone I don't know working with her paint, Princess.

We watched the horses, Ebony and Princess, and their people, Bev and someone I don't know, who had a photographer daughter along.  We watched the sunset over the pond, behind the fields...

And then we headed home, quietly, happy and fulfilled.

No comments: